Thursday, October 30, 2008

I'm Melting!

Last night I was awakened by Jojo, who has been teething and not sleeping well, and then Christian rolled right off the bed. He did not get back into bed, so I went to him and picked him up. That is when I noticed his ear was wet, but it was a little dark. And then I noticed my hand was wet. And then I noticed my face was wet as I carried him to the bathroom to investigate. There was blood coming down behind his ear, and I searched his scalp to find the wound from his fall. Whew! Head wounds seem to gush a little more than I thought and it scared me, and of course this sent Christian into a panic.

But we both calmed down as I slowly began dabbing at the cut that was most likely caused by hitting a corner either on the bed or night stand as he fell. He said, "I'm melting!" Anytime Christian sees blood he claims that he is melting. We both got cleaned up and then I placed a towel on his pillow to catch any excess fluid. I stayed up much of the night needlessly worrying that he may have a concussion.

This morning he allowed me to dab at the "crusty" hair around the scab on his scalp and it is a little wider than I thought, but it is not deep and so I do not worry now that I can see the damage. There will be time to worry over other accidents in the future, I'm sure. Accidents related to over-hyped boys jumping on couches and beds when I am not looking (that is how Gabie got his last black eye).

Christian and Gabie have a new game they play together when they are getting along. Christian acts like a cat, and Gabie pets him. He talks lovingly to Christian the cat while he pats his back and head. Christian laps it up. It sounds strange when I read what I just wrote, but really it is pretty entertaining to watch them. A thought struck me: In the animal kingdom, Gabriel would be the dominant one.



Christian's class went to this pumpkin patch and all he got was this:



When Mike carved it -- it took about two minutes -- Christian exclaimed, "This is the best Halloween ever!" Then Mike did something irritating. He removed the small flower candle -- the adorable one in the bathroom -- and stuck it in this jack 'o lantern. I know that the candle is slightly damaged, but it's still useful and cute. I demanded that he remove it and got some votive candles from my mom. Sheesh.

More outstanding Halloween decor for your viewing pleasure.


We are gearing up for the big Trick-or-Treat fest tomorrow. Christian is still not sure if he will be the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle or Buzz Lightyear, and Gabriel may now dress up in the Thomas the Train conductor costume. Jojo will still be dressed as baby Frankenstein.

I bought a huge 5.5 lb bag of Halloween candy at Costco two days ago. I hid it in a super secret spot in a closet under an old sleeping bag on top of a box to make it difficult to break into it. I like chocolate. But Mike loves chocolate probably a little more than me, so I thought I would do him the favor of hiding it. Yesterday I broke a hole in it. I think there is still about 5 lb left of the candy. I'm glad I bought it two days ago rather than two weeks ago. I'd hate for the neighborhood kids not to have any candy. Then we'd be the grinches of Halloween and they would take our mini pumpkin and smash it to bits on the street. That would be sad.




Jojo is wearing cool turtleneck with spaceships from Auntie Gail.



See our littlest monster walk! It's been a month since he took his first steps.


No comments: