Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Boy Tales

I have not had time to post anything lately because, ahem, a certain husband took away my digital camera to develop film that had been sitting on the disk for a year since I've owned it. It was finally time to delete those photos to free up some space. I am lazy about developing film, so that responsibility is usually Mike's. In the past year we have hardly developed any photos of the kids, much less of our baby Jojo. We are lucky to have 15 minutes of film documenting his life.


I am good at keeping schedules, though. My calendar is my best friend. This week Jojo had his one year pictures taken, and then yesterday all three had a doctor's appointment. They each had their flu shot. And parents, know that if your child is over two years old there is now a flu mist being given in lieu of a shot! Christian also had to have a hepatitis A shot and will receive another one next year. And poor Jojo had the short end of the stick: he received not only his scheduled immunizations, but also a flu shot for a total of four shots. What a trooper. The kids will have their second flu shot dose in a month. This is the first time they have ever had a flu shot I guess because I myself have never gotten one. After what happened last February, the pediatrician strongly encouraged us to get the flu shot this year. Last winter all three were exposed to a horrible virus which required the use of a nebulizer for each of them. Jojo, who was only 5 months old at that time, was a worry because his virus mimicked RSV. What a frightening time. Mike ended up with bronchitis. I was lucky: I only had a terrible cough.


We had some fun times this past weekend! First, on Friday we went to the children's science museum and had the place practically to ourselves now that school is back in session. Gabriel swallowed some soapy water at the bubble making machine in the five seconds I was concentrating on Christian. Another mother graciously pointed it out to me. At least Gabriel did not get his hands pinched by the battery clips in the electricity learning center this time, though. Last time we were at this museum, Gabriel ran ahead of me. I heard some loud screams and laughed as I saw a few kids covering their ears. Then a thought entered my mind: "Wait, that sounds like my child." Sure enough, when I caught up to Gabie less than 30 seconds after he had taken off, the little battery clip was pinching the palm of his hand instead of the correct end of the lightbulb thingy (still do not understand how that happened). I told you Gabie has a piercing scream.


Playing the xylophone just like Uncle Jimmy!




Jojo playing in the "baby science area" with Grandpa.


On Saturday, Christian had a soccer game and he and his teammates scored some goals. Earlier in the day I took Christian to the Harvest Festival with my friend Michelle, her mom Anita, and nephew Isaac. It was great to spend time with them.

Finally, on Sunday we celebrated Jojo's birthday with the family and it was then that he took his first stumbling steps. What a great birthday present gift for us all. Poor Aunt Patsy set her purse down on my coffee table (see 'Ode to My Furniture'), but did not realize that the glass was missing. I had forgotten to warn her. She was stunned when her purse fell through the table onto the ground below. It is a good thing that did not happen with a drink or plate of food.


Look, no glass! No children were injured during the photo shoot.

I have managed to cut down on 'DWTS' viewing, although I did watch part of the results show last night as Christian and I played a board game. The guest dancers put on an interesting show with the electronica music and lit up costumes. And yikes, was that Jessica Simpson singing another horrible ballad? No offense to any of you Jessica Simpson, horrible ballad fans, but I so dislike ballads. I'd like to hear which ballads bother you, too! It'll be a spooktacular event for October.

Wishing you a ballad-free day filled with excitement.

Watch Jojo take some steps!

Watch Jojo walk some more!

No comments: