Saturday, October 25, 2008

Party-rific

This morning we went to Christian's last soccer game of the season. It was a gorgeous morning with wide blue skies. Afterwards, he went to a dress up birthday party for one of his teammates, Estevan. I don't know about you, but I am just a tad lazy when it comes to planning birthday parties. Christian's birthday party was at Peter Piper Pizza, and that was planning enough for me. Estevan's party was space themed. In the backyard his dad had built a space shuttle for the kids to go inside, along with a cool command center with lights. And then there were fun games (no 'Pin the Tail on the Donkey' here), but the show stopper was the awesome homemade UFO pinata. Way cool. I wish I had my camera. The birthday boy wore a spaceflight uniform, there were a few Buzz Lightyears wandering around, and, of course, Rafael -- the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, aka Christian. Yesterday was the first time I actually saw a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cartoon, but somehow the birthday boy's mom knew exactly which TMNT Christian was dressed as. Oh, and the cake -- the cake! It was a space shuttle cake. I'm so glad the party was still going on when I arrived to pick up Christian because I got to see all the really creative work these parents put into their son's party.

Christian is becoming more independent, and I am becoming braver. This was the first party that he was invited to where I actually dropped him off at the door. He is also going out into the front yard to play with kids next door more often, but I still check on him quite a bit. He needs to experience new boundaries, and I need to learn to let go a little bit more.

Ciao for now.

2 comments:

kate said...

Oh How fun!!!!!! Wow, your first little boy is growing up so fast and you must be going through some great adjustments yourself in letting the strings out a little further....He will always be your baby, no matter what!

Thanks for the nice comments on my blog, and yes, I ma back...feeling better than I have in a long time! Talk to you soon!

Elena said...

She's back! Amazing what a change of scenery will do for you, I know! Yes, growing up is hard to watch. Hope all is well.