Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ode to Errands

Standing in the long line at the post office
for at least twenty minutes or more
as I struggle with three wiggly weasel boys
who are bored,
restless without toys
given only some envelopes to play with
as I try to get through my chore.

Lo, through my peripheral vision
I feel stared at and turn a smidgen
and notice a taut face
and beady eyes without a trace
of empathy towards this mother
who is trying her best to control,
cajole,
entertain,
discipline
two of the boys who would rather stroll,
run,
jump,
or kick the pole.

I had second thoughts about
sending a smile towards
this puffed up trout
when her eyes rolled
in the direction of my boys.

Good comebacks came long after
I left the place, and I wish
I could have told the old fish,
"I'm sure it has been a while
since you have been around a child."

And now I have vented
and am now spented.

No comments: