Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dancing makes Me Hungry

I wasted two evenings with 'Dancing with the Stars', but it was worth it. I think I am enjoying it more now that some of the poor/boring dancers have been let go. This week they added four new dances that have never been performed before: the hustle, West Coast swing, jitterbug, and salsa. I have to say I never saw disco look as boring as Susan Lucci's performance of the hustle to a great song - 'Upside Down'. I realize she has a fractured ankle, but she's been so, shall I say, dainty through all her dances. I think she's next to go! Wasn't the Dancing through the Decades performance outstanding, although a few decades in between were missing? The Brian Setzer Orchestra gave a rousing performance!


Next week Michael Flatley from 'Lord of the Dance' is going to take Len's place as one of the judges. This is going to be good. Every time I think of of my brothers' hilarious impersonations of him in the 'Lord of the Dance' DVD that Aunt Patsy got one Christmas, I just about tinkle I laugh so hard. My brothers nailed it with their Michael Flatley stare into the camera, breathing heavily ('Ladies, you want some more of this?'). Someone wrote on the DWTS blog that they wonder whether or not Michael Flatley would be wearing his headband. I think it's safe to say that I'm not over my addiction to DWTS.


More chit chat: Let's see, today Mama G.G. spent the morning with us and it was good having her to ourselves. She has a cane that Jojo likes to play with. Later on this evening he discovered the light saber toy can be used as a cane, too.



This afternoon my old friend Anna came over with her children Abby and Benjamin. I'm a coffee & dessert girl when it comes to having visitors, and Anna said it reminded her of when we were little girls and our mothers drank coffee as all the kids played. Anna's mom is also Spanish, and growing up we had lots of fun with all the kids when our 'Spanish Group' mothers & families got together. Now I see Abby, who resembles Anna at that age and who is about the age when Anna and I became friends, and it's surreal how fast time has gone by. We had a good visit and laughed at the stories about the 'A Pool', the public pool we used to visit a lot with our moms.



I ate too much dessert that I almost did not have dinner. I admit that I'm not the best or most creative cook, but I do like what I make and I eat it most of the time. I can eat most anything any day of the week. Not these miminy-piminy boys, including their daddy. I can't remember not eating what my mom dished out, except the times when I'd hide the pinto beans in my cheeks until I could safely spit them out in the freedom of the great outdoors -- I was not to leave the table until they were off my plate, by gosh! And my mom made only one meal for the whole family. How did she do it? My new motto: This Ain't a Stinkin' Diner. I just picture myself Flo-ing it up in my pink waitress uniform and beehive hairdo, smacking my gum and telling these boys how it's going to be from now on. Yes, you will eat this mushy crock pot chicken with rice and yellow microwave steamed corn, and you will like it. Oh no sir, you will not eat another chicken nugget or corn dog until you take a bite of this delectable mini meatloaf with brown sugar and catsup topping that makes your mouth melt in delight. You think you're too good to eat this Totino's frozen pizza with a side of canned peas? Don't like the mouthwatering Paula Deen piggy pudding with syrup, well kiss my grits!



Things are going to change around here. Wait till they get a load of tomorrow's menu: rump roast with carrots and potatoes. I'm sure it'll be served with a side of corn dogs and chicken nuggets.





Someone, please invent corn dog-shaped meals on a stick.

No comments: