Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Jeepers Creepers on the Loose and Big Brown Peepers

Yesterday we went to the mall to pick up Joseph's one-year portraits. I told the boys if they were good we would go to the playground. Then I remembered that the fun children's hair cut place was close by and Gabie was willing to go check it out. We had the good fortune of running into an old friend from my childhood, Anna, who was there with her children. While the kids ran around the shop watching the videos, playing with the toys, or sneaking candy from the huge display (what a fun place!), we visited until it was time for Gabie to receive his hair cut. Actually, she offered to let Gabie go before her son Benjamin had his turn. We overheard Benjamin telling Christian that he was going to get a Power Rangers hair cut like the ones on his T-shirt, but Anna noticed that Power Rangers wear helmets.
We went to the green frog chair and Gabie started to cry, but he didn't go into hysterics like he did last spring at the other place. I ended up holding him in my lap on a regular (adult size) chair while the very efficient stylist cut his hair in about 10 minutes. What joy and relief that we made it through this ordeal, and I think Gabie had more fun than he let on. You did it!



Jeepers, we can see your peepers now!

Jojo has been walking like crazy in the past two weeks. I will post a new video soon so you can see how well he gets around. Here are a couple of photos which may help you see how much he enjoys his newly acquired skill.






And finally, yesterday Christian found a new "friend" in Grandpa and Yaya's yard -- a praying mantis that he saved in a cup overnight. I was leery of allowing this since the night before Gabie let loose a grasshopper that Christian had also caught and stored in a temporary shelter bowl. We still haven't seen Mr. Grasshopper, but I'm sure I'll find him where I least expect it.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I used to HATE bugs. Years ago I was once frozen for an hour in my apartment because a moth was on the wall, but I bravely ran past it and drove to the nearest store to buy bug spray to take care of it. Since Christian's interest in these creatures has intensified lately, I've somehow gotten over much of my paranoia. Even bees don't scare me that much anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'll never touch bugs with my bare hand if I can avoid it. I'll only dispose of small ones myself -- like ants, flies. I still trap the occasional cricket in a glass for Mike to take care of later. I detest cockroaches and furry looking spiders.

Christian knows the rule: All creepy crawlers are to be let loose the following day upon which they are caught so that they may find their mommies and daddies who miss them. He had a hard time parting with the mantis today and somehow found ways to keep it around as long as possible.

Christian spent several hours saying goodbye to the praying mantis who for some reason was not ready to leave. Christian told me it wanted to stay on the table.

Shoo, bug, shoo I telepathed urgently to the praying mantis.

Maybe it'll be gone by tomorrow morning as I dream of grasshoppers on the loose ....or grasshoppers in my bed.....zzzzzzzzz

No comments: