Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sass it Up

Two things Christian has learned in school:

"I'm going to kick your butt."
"Duh."
He makes me so proud.


Two words that Jojo says:
"Ca" -- car
"Baby" -- Gaby? Or for baby?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems to always happen to me. I ask a hairstylist to TRIM my hair, i.e. keep the same hairstyle. I'll explain that I like it EXACTLY how it is, but it needs some shaping. "You want an 'A line bob'," she'll repeat.

I like going to the salon early in the morning on a weekday because there is usually no wait. That means I bring two or three of the children. And so, after the stylist and I agreed what she was going to do to my hair, I took off my glasses and I all I could see was a huge blur in the mirror. She did say she noticed quite a few layers in the back. "Yes," I responded. "My hair is 'stacked' and cut a little higher in the back."

When she was finished I put my glasses back on and saw a different head of hair, hair that would entail some upkeep and major fixing. A style that does not go with my face. She showed me the mirror, and as I faked my usual enthusiasm for the wrong hairstyle, I noticed that my hair was suspiciously the same length all around. "I added lots of layers; I just love this cut on you," she enthused. "It has such sass." And I froze. Anytime I hear the word pizazz or sass I have to ask myself, am I this boring? Is my appearance so plain vanilla? Is it time I start wearing glitter in my hair and purple frame eyeglasses to add some pizazz or sparkle to my dull existence?

There is only one person I trust to cut my hair whichever way she wants and that is my mother-in-law. Usually I can't make it look the same way she styled it, but the shape is still there. Before my bad haircut today, my hair was pleasing to me. I have a round face that does not go with shorter than chin-length hair. Didn't the stylist notice this? Of course not, she was too concerned with adding some flash to my existence. Hint: if a woman walks in with already shampooed hair without any product in it in order to have a quick haircut, it does not mean that her hair looks like that normally. If I do not fix my hair, it lays flat on my head because it's fine. Maybe she judged me by the way my hair looked at that moment. She probably thought, "That poor gal with that terrible, flat hair. She needs a whole new look." I shall have to file that in my brain and remember to communicate that although my hair is not fixed, it has been washed and needs a trim. And remember to wear contact lenses.

2 comments:

kate said...

Oh- I'm so sorry! I can totally relate though, either I am not properly communicating what I want done, or the stylist just isn't interested and has her own agenda. Sadley, I too, often walk out of the salon having just pretended to love the haircut...Someday we will find good stylists! That is too funny about Christian too! Nate has been saying some pretty funny things lately too. I miss you guys!!

linda lum debono said...

My little one loves "poo" and "stupid" right now and it is driving me insane.

Sorry for the bad hair experience. I will drive from here to Princeton for a haircut because my stylist gets the fact that I don't want the big hair that many of the women seem to love in NJ. xo, L