Friday, January 23, 2009

Do Skeletons Have Butts?

Spectacular moon coming over the Sandias earlier this month. "Sandia" means watermelon, and that's the color of the mountains at sunset.

Hello! We're still here; I've been lazy about blogging this week. Today we had our friend Benjamin over to play with the boys. The boys were so excited. I looked forward to Christian and Gabriel not fighting with each other during the visit, and they didn't! Anna and her daughter Abby came by later to pick up Benjamin, and the kids ate the cupcakes they brought -- cupcakes with blue icing & sprinkles. The best!


Earlier in the week Tanya and I met to do our weekly walking. She brought baby Tristan and Tyler, and Gaby had fun playing with Tyler at the playground later. We figured we would avoid the mall so we could avoid the chocolate crepes again.


Christian's teacher told me that he has 'come out of his shell' and is a 'chatterbox'. I could have told her that! I had a feeling he was getting comfortable when he told me earlier this week, "Me and my boys like to play around when the teacher is not looking." I like how he refers to his friends as 'my boys'. He also tells me that the girls don't like the boys.


Joseph is either coming down with a cold or has allergies, but his nose began running like a faucet. He slept pretty well between 11:30-4:30 this morning, and then one more bottle and he slept until around 6:30.


Gaby tried to impress Abby again with his, "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" line. He lowers his voice as deep as he can when he says his favorite pickup line to his dear Abby. We're still watching 'Walk the Line' musical scenes, and Gaby says he wants to "be in the movie" - playing his guitar in front of all his fans, I'm sure.


Last Monday was a day off for all students for MLK day. We went to see 'Madagascar' at the dollar theatre and it was packed! The kids did real well at the movies, and so did Tanya's. I made sure to leave Joseph in the stroller, and even though he became restless, the snacks and drinks helped.


On Tuesday we went to Mass with Mom and Dad in remembrance of Abuela's 20th anniversary of her death. That day was also the inauguration of Barack Obama and much of the day was spent watching the events unfold throughout the day. I remember 20 years ago the 1st President Bush was sworn into office on the day Abuela died.


The questions Christian asks lately have been numerous -- more so then normal. "Do skeletons have butts?" "Why don't skeletons have ears (or lips) (or hair)?" "What do baby dinosaurs eat?" "Do teachers have kids?" "Do policemen have houses?" "Does drinking milk made you strong?" One day he'll realize I don't have the answers to some of his burning questions.


This week has been historical with the swearing-in of our new president. Many pray that the next four years will bring about good change in our country.

3 comments:

kate said...

Godd to hear that you are doing so well! I LOVE "Walk the Line!" One of my all time favorite movies- absolutely! And I'm also glad to hear that Christian is coming into his own at school- so important. And how funny about all of the questions! I think Nate is verging on that too. There is an 11-year-old boy in our neighborhood who Nate has begun to idol! Whenever he has an trouble finishing his dinner, I just say to him, don't you want to grow up and be big and strong like Aubrey? (the boy's name). I think it's too funny! I think it is wonderful that you honor your Abuela so faithfully, she would be so proud of you and the family you have created!

kate said...

Sorry for all of my typos...I am still trying to wake up!

linda lum debono said...

"my boys" - That's so cute and funny! Glad to hear that he's coming out of his shell. xo, L