Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

Jojo and I just returned from Mass this morning, and Mike, Christian and Gaby are on their way to Utah. I look forward to a quiet couple days spent mostly with my parents, who are a lot of fun and company for me. I enjoy late night visits with them, and I will take advantage while I stay at their house over the next two nights. We are still debating whether or not to try and catch a ride on the Railrunner train which has a newly opened line to Santa Fe. The rides are free through this weekend, so we may have to wait until the trains are less full.

In the meantime, Daddy is taking the two older boys to visit many exciting sites in Utah! Gaby did not forget his beloved garbage truck, and Christian is taking along his Bakugans and assorted critters. We'll post pictures soon from their first road trip of 2009.

Jojo still has somewhat of a stomach virus and has been living on G2 Gatorade; minimal dairy; and eating only bananas, lean meats, and dry foods, and yet we are still having trouble returning his intestines to normal. Each time it seems he's better, I insert a little dairy or non fiber food into his diet and his stomach becomes out of whack again. He will be better soon, and I am fortunate to have a good pediatrician and nurse who return calls when there are problems.

As I take stock of this past year, I cannot help but be hopeful about the future. We have our health, Mike has a job, and we are close to my family. It was the year that I finally started writing regularly through blogging. It was also the year of Facebook and some pretty wonderful connections with old friends from over 20 years ago, to more recent friendships. Facebook has been such an exciting, innovative way to keep in touch with everyone from here to Spain (even throughout the day), and also with friends from other places that I used to live. It was also the year of reconnecting with friends here in my hometown who I had not seen either since I had left Albuquerque or for a few years in between. In addition to being able to see my regular close girlfriends, I also made a few new friends with some special neighbors. This time last year we had just moved back, Mike had yet to find a job, and we moved into the home that my parents found for us, for which I am eternally grateful. And the three boys went through some extraordinary growth and development. Jojo is no longer an infant; Gaby is talking, full of energy & soon to be potty trained, hopefully by the time he's three next month (ok, maybe it'll be earlier with Jojo); and Christian is a sweet boy who is into learning, puzzles, and games.

In the upcoming year I have some resolutions that I hope to follow through with, as always. I'll share some of those in the coming days or weeks.

I wish all of you a very Happy New Year filled with peace, joy, and love. I pray that our new incoming President will have a peaceful administration, one which respects life and all that it entails for the sake of Goodness, not Choice. For the sake of peace, not offense. For the sake of humility, not pride. Amen.

1 comment:

kate said...

beautiful post Elena....really! I am so excited for Mike and the boys to get to spend some great quality time together as father and sons and friends...and for you to have a little down time with your parents! I am sorry to hear about JoJo though, that must be so frustrating! It sounds like you had a wonderful and momentous year during 2008, as for you, I think 2009 will be a little more settled...let's hope anyway! Happy New Year friend! Love, Kate