Friday, September 30, 2011

Woller Wink

Last night the boys' school had a skate party at the local rink.  They have never skated before, and I hadn't gone in over 20 years. But I pressed on and rented skates for each of us. 

It was comical, really.  People around us were chuckling as they saw me trying to control squirmy Jojo and Gaby who kept falling on their popos as I tried to keep from falling on mine.  Jojo's feet had a mind of their own; it was as if he was trying to to walk instead of uncontrollably rolling. Christian made it to the wall of the rink and hung on for dear life. 

Gaby, Jojo, and I finally made it safely to the wall of the rink.  I had forgotten how to balance on my skates nor did I have much control over myself, much less two boys, and thought of Wile E. Coyote on his ACME skates.

It took me one trip around the rink to wise up and take off those rolling shoes of terror.  I was able to walk the boys around.  After about an hour, Gaby and Jojo had more control over their skates.  Gaby and Christian went by themselves around the rink while holding on to the wall, and Jojo and I went around the rink by ourselves.  No broken bones, only torn jean knees for Gaby.

It really was fun!  We were all sweating and tired after a couple hours, but we hope to go again.  I wish I'd had my camera, though. The image of Jojo's feet and legs scrambling beneath him in the tiny pair of skates is something I'll never forget.

No comments: