Saturday, September 17, 2011

On Parade

Handsome Christian
Today was the kick-off of Arts in the Alley festival in our suburb.  Instead of watching the parade, we were in the parade with Christian's Cub Scouts den.


Why trash? I guess I see the park theme with the bench, which is made of trees.  Recycling bins...maybe?
As we passed some of the other floats on the miles-long path to reach our spot, I took some pictures.

You look lovely, dahling!

The boys loved that rocket car.


Not sure why an office theme for this float.

The only thing missing on the Cub Scouts float:
running water


The scouts handed out candy to the crowds lining the streets.  Jojo enjoyed doing that, too.  Gaby rode on Daddy's shoulders to take in the view. 





 
 
Gabriel then took these photos while riding on Daddy's shoulders.













Later in the afternoon, Christian and I helped sell food at the Cub Scouts booth.  I warned them that I could not handle the cash register, but they let me do it anyway.  My anxiety increased when I remembered my disasterous two-month waitressing stint back in college because it is difficult for me to both a) listen while taking an order and b) remember what the person just ordered after keying it into a machine.  I was supposed to remember which kind of sauce people ordered with the chicken tenders and holler it out to the cooks on the other side of the tent at the same time as entering the order number into the machine.  Christian and the other kids handled the drink orders.  I was fired from my job as cashier after the second time the cash register went on the fritz for some reason, so I became the 'holler girl' after that. 

Although the menu was simple, one could order an adult or kids' meal, or order the same food choices a la carte...but whenever I hollered, "One two-piece with medium sauce!" someone on the other side would always want to verify whether it was a meal or not.  Whew!  Got that straightened out.  The drinks available were Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, or water.  Someone ordered a "pop" and Christian looked for that drink.  We southwesterners are used to "soft drink" or "Coke" before we specify which kind. 


Mike found the junky fried food section.  Deep fried cinnamon rolls are interesting.  I didn't try the deep fried Snickers (Mike's rating: "It's alright.") or the deep fried cookie dough (Mike's rating: "Very good.").  I had the fried cheese on a stick, which did not compare to Cheese on a Stick at our mall in Albuquerque. 

No comments: