Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blessing of Pets


Today our pets were blessed by Fr. Dan for the feast of St. Francis of Assisi.  There was quite a menagerie of animals: a bearded dragon, all sorts of dogs, some cats, a bird, frogs, a turtle, and Jojo's panda bear that he brought along.  Lucas, Jumpy, and Climby all did well, although Lucas became quite chirpy and some other dogs were yappy.  Two big black dogs began growling at another dog, but things went smoothly other than that.  Christian enjoyed talking about his firebelly frogs with some interested people -- and we thought he was shy.

There was a lady holding a box that I assumed must've been a creature quite small.  I asked her what she had and her eyes welled up.  I asked if it contained her deceased pet's ashes, and she showed me a picture of her shih tzu that she'd had for 14 years. She said she never thought she could become attached to a dog, and the loss still stings.

I commented my surprise at becoming attached to our little bird.  Who would've thought?  A dog or cat I could understand, but a bird?  I love Lucas and everyone who meets him falls in love with him, too.  He has such personality, and he talks constantly. I haven't quite warmed up to the frogs yet, but they are cute.  I don't mind holding them and listening to their high pitched squeaks occasionally. 



I held up Lucas for the Holy water.  And then Fr. Dan blessed Jojo's panda bear -- Mike was unable to get a photo.


Christian speaks animatedly about his firebelly frogs to his captive audience.

Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi


Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Amen


P.S. -- Daddy caught this fish, according to Christian.  Christian said that Mike reached into the water and pulled it out!  The real story is there were some fishers at a dam who offered to cast their net and catch a fish for the boys. Quite a catch.

2 comments:

Elena said...

On the way back from the Dam on Sunday I told Christian to tell you that I caught the fish with my hands. I told him that mom would believe you.

Elena said...

I did! That's why I asked you because I was surprised. So Christian was in on the joke, huh? He sure embellished it: "Dad reached in and grabbed the huge fish with his bare hands, and he was like, uggghhh, when he touched the slimy skin." Please sign your messages, otherwise it looks like I'm having a conversation with myself.