Thursday, November 20, 2008

Soggy Pretzels

I grew up on some pretty great music thanks to my dad -- The 5th Dimension, Simon & Garfunkel -- and I owe my obsession with Abba music to my mom. But probably one of my all-time favorite memories from childhood is dancing to Neil Diamond's 'Hot August Night' album. A few years ago I got his latest Rick Rubin-produced CD from my in-laws for Christmas.

What Gabriel did today brought to mind Neil Diamond's song, 'Soggy Pretzels'. No, Gabriel wasn't crying in his beer sitting in a bar at a corner table, but he was pretty upset that Christian took the very pretzel that he wanted to eat. Nevermind that there were ten other pretzels staring at him waiting to be eaten.

Some of the lyrics:
You were washing
All the salt away from the dough
You were cryin' in your pretzels
And I'll never forget you
But, baby, just why, I'll ever know

Gabie did not wash all the salt away from the dough with his tears, but Christian had licked off all the salt on the very pretzel he wanted. I tried to cajole, console, redirect, and finally I demanded that Christian hand over that soggy pretzel so Gabriel could see that it was no longer what he thought it would be and then he'd get a fresh, crisp pretzel.

Gabriel ate every soggy piece to our disgust. Baby, just why, I'll never know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! That's one of my favorite songs. I'm pretty young but I like the vintage stuff.

Anonymous said...

Haha. That's one of my favorite songs. I'm pretty young but I like the vintage stuff.