Wednesday, November 26, 2008

People who Need People

Children are innocent in their curiosity. They also blurt out unexpected comments.


Last week we stopped by the children's great-great Aunt Tonie's to say hello. Aunt Tonie is Mama G.G.'s sister and is a retired nun. As we were leaving Christian asked her, "Don't you have any people?" Aunt Tonie was also a teacher and aunt to many nieces and nephews, so she is used to such direct, innocent questions. She explained that she lives alone, and although he was still concerned about it, Christian was finally satisfied with her answer.

Even birds need people.

Gabriel's latest question is, "What's that smell?" He usually plugs his nose when he asks. It is embarrassing, as you can imagine, when it is asked loudly in public around strangers because sometimes it is a stranger who smells. Maybe they don't realize it and think Gabriel's directing the comment at me. Simply embarrassing. Gabriel also says, "Stop talking." It's an updated version of what Christian used to say at that age: "Don't talk to me."

This evening Christian innocently pointed out one of my physical flaws concerning a weighty issue, and we talked about how it is impolite to point out any one's faults. I told him that he could tell me that I am perfect or, I boldly added, even pretty. You have to begin training boys early to give compliments. He got quiet and said, "There is only one perfect person." I asked, "Who is that?" And he solemnly replied, "Jesus." We're getting our money's worth at preschool!

At his school's Thanksgiving feast this afternoon, we listened to some songs the kids performed before we ate. We received a lovely turkey cookbook to help us with our Thanksgiving turkey this week. Each child explained how to fix it, the ingredients needed, and it includes a drawing along with the recipe. Here's Christian's version:
"She puts dressing salad on the turkey and cooks it with a spatula for 7 minutes and then she eats it and then she feeds it to me. I like to eat salads and dressing and turkey and meatballs."

First of all, Christian eats none of those things. Secondly, I like how he included the word 'spatula' in his instructions. Third, I do not plan on putting dressing salad on the turkey; I've got a fabulous recipe from a friend, and we are hoping for the best since I am making the turkey this year.
I'm thankful for many things, but most of all for being a mother to these three little boys: The picture-taking, question-asking thinker; the comment-blabbing giggler; the sweet baby tot.


Random photos by our extremely talented 5-year-old.

No comments: