Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving! There is so much to be thankful for this year, and in the spirit of having elected a new President this month, the posting below is the first Thanksgiving Proclamation given by our nation's first president, George Washington.

Faith & Family Live! - The daily blog of Catholic living

Yesterday Uncle Jaime, Auntie Jeanne, Daniela, and Anthony arrived from Dallas. Today we're going to Yaya and Grandpa's for the big feast, and Jeanne's sister Susan and her husband Jimmy are also going to join us, as well as Mama G.G., Aunt Patsy, and Aunt Tonie. I'll post some pictures soon.


Gabie with Daniela's dog, Francis.
Look at how big Anthony is -- he's 1.5 years old and is almost as big as his 4-year-old sister.

Here's Daniela posing with my brother Jaime. She like's art -- she commented to Christian about one of Yaya's framed artworks: "Look Christian, isn't this the most amazing painting?"

I volunteered to prepare the turkey this year. It's only the second one I have ever attempted, but this year's turkey is the biggest one by far. I can't even use Grandma's old turkey pan. Here are a few pictures Christian took as we prepared it:
First, we all gagged after pulling out the giblets and neck. Then I washed the turkey, patted it dry, and then stuffed it with a quartered lemon, apple, orange, and onion.

I placed the turkey on a "rack" of carrots and celery -- another tip from Tanya.

Then I attempted to rub the paste recipe that Tanya gave me, but it kept sticking to my hands. So then I used a rubber spatula to spread it on the bird.


Here I am calling the Butterball Turkey Hotline because I am not sure if it is ok to cut the skin to put the mixture on the meat. Won't the turkey dry out, I ponder as I dial the number. They are closed at 9:30 PM Thanksgiving-Eve.



We're hoping we don't have to break this out.

No comments: