Saturday, May 9, 2009

Tea and Infamy


Last Thursday Christian's pre-school classes (the 'green frogs' and 'red birds') invited the mothers for a Mother's Day tea, only there was no tea. But there were cookies, lemonade, and water -- very refreshing on a hot day. All of us mothers sat at our places while the kids played outside. Walker's mom came over and introduced herself to me.

Walker's mom: "Are you Christian's mom?"

Me: "Yes, I'm Elena!"

Walker's mom: "I'm Walker's mom, _________."

My heart went thud. I knew what was coming, and I felt my face turn eight shades of embarrassment.

Walker's mom: "Christian is the one who said that Walker only plays with girls, " she said good naturedly.

The previous day when the boys and I were in front of the school, Christian saw a couple of his friends. Then he pointed out Walker to me and said loudly, "That's Walker. He only plays with the girls." I quickly told Christian in a low voice, "That's enough." I noticed an older man, who I assumed to be Walker's grandfather, frowning in our direction. I hoped he hadn't heard that comment, but I felt uncomfortable scolding Christian at that moment. Maybe I should've scolded him. I just wanted to pretend that he had not made that comment. Sometimes I get a little flustered in these awkward situations.

Me: "I am so sorry that he said that loudly. Christian plays with girls, too. He plays with my older niece, and some of my friends have girls...."

Walker's mom: "Walker has an older sister and maybe that's why he's so comfortable playing with girls. Anyway, I wanted you to know that Walker came home from school the other day and told me, 'Mommy, I had a good today. And I played with the boys, too!'"

Walker's mom was understanding, but it was still a little embarrassing.

Here are a few things that the teacher wrote from Christian's comments about me on my card:

My mom is "7012 years old."
My mom is as pretty as a "person."
My mom likes me to "play pbskids.org."
My mom is the best mom because "she likes to look for critters with me."
My mom is happy when "we smell flowers."




Christian and his 'boys'.





Happy Mother's Day!


1 comment:

Lizzie said...

don't you just love what our ids come up with about us?! my son did something similar in his class and he said his favorite thing about me was my "pretty dresses" (don't wear dresses...) and my "yummy cheesecake" (i have never made a cheesecake in my entire life!)

silly kids :) happy mothers day!