Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Johnny Cash and Dancing Insanity

I have a sick addiction to a certain TV show called 'Dancing with the Stars.' This madness has to stop. I just wasted two hours today and last night, and I may waste another two hours tomorrow night just to see Jonas Brothers play as Christian is excited to see this pubescent/post-pubescent boy band. If Christian was aware that CDs of their music are available, I would probably have to listen to it over and over. Let's keep that our little secret.

But why, oh why, do they not put actual latin music to the mambo and cha-cha since they are, after all, latin dances? Come on, Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby got Back" for the final mambo number?? No wonder the poor couple couldn't quite get into the rhythm -- sheesh! Oh, and I will never get the image of the new goth dancer & her partner star (she's living on the edge of Ballroom Dancing) either fox trotting or mambo-ing to The Cure. I'm pretty sure that's the second time I know of that a Cure song has been desecrated by 'DWTS'. My brother Sergio would be apalled.

Even Mike has been sucked into the madness. He just asked me who was eliminated as he was busy reading to Christian before bed. Isn't this football season? Oh, I remember. Football is on Monday nights and weekends. I get dibs on the big TV during 'DWTS', though. I have to say, sometimes there is actual latin music played to the latin dances and that's when I enjoy it so much. The show is a much needed respite after the long summer of hearing Johnny Cash tunes -- I promise, Aunt Patsy, to return 'Walk the Line' to you real soon. Gabriel can't get enough of singing those songs at the top of his lungs to anyone listening both inside and outside the house. He uses garden hoses, broken table legs (he broke them), and sticks as his microphone for his rather projectible (is that a real word?) voice. I have the movie lines and songs memorized. Gabie plays his heart out on the little red guitar, but when he can't find it he uses a teeny guitar that belongs to the Woody doll. He says he wants a "real guitar". Take a peek:







We'll have to sneak up on him to catch him singing. Your ears may ring for a while, trust me.

May you have a 'DWTS'- free evening tomorrow. I plan to, anyway. I'll only watch the last ten minutes to see who gets eliminated. Or maybe I'll see the half-time show with the Jonas Brothers to see what cheesy number the professional dancers end up doing with their music. Oh, forget it. I'll probably watch the whole silly thing and give you another report. Don't blame me if you or your loved ones get hooked. The show is one big heap of delicious insanity that gets me each season. One last request for 'DWTS': Please may there not be another Bon Jovi number thrown in this season.




2 comments:

Matt said...

Don't let my wife read that about Bon Jovi.

Elena said...

If she is a fan, she too would be disgusted by the 'It's My Life' number for the tango. It's fine ridiculousness at its best.