Friday, September 12, 2008

Fair Scare

Yesterday my parents and I took the boys to the State Fair. It had been several years since I had gone, and we were excited to see the fair through the kids' eyes. The fun we had at the children's exhibit making ginormous bubbles, petting the animals, watching the kids dance and, at times, cover their ears at the loud music coming from Spanish Village. We watched the electric trains go round and round the city and mountains at the train exhibit. We ate corn dogs, funnel cake, and lemonade. We watched the unicyler juggle three fire sticks. It was a perfectly beautiful day in the upper 70s and it got cooler as the evening wore on. The best part is we had the fair practically to ourselves being a weekday.

On our way out Christian wanted to stop at the agriculture building once again to view the fish, turtles and other wildlife. We stopped to take pictures in front of the bobcat cage where a cute-looking, yet fierce cat was pacing back and forth. There are clear signs on these cages which state: "I bite". My parents and I were distracted for less than a minute, when suddenly we heard a gasp around us and as we turned we saw Gabriel had maneuvered his way behind the rail and was about to stick his hand into the bobcat cage. Just in the nick of time my dad caught him.

Little Gabe, you gave us such a fright. Grandpa says you're intrepid. This is the child who keeps us on our toes. He can climb tall bookshelves, he's not afraid of water fights at the pool with bigger kids, he can defend himself, and we still have not found much that he is afraid of. He is the complete opposite of his older brother Christian.

On the way out we stopped at the over-priced toy booth and they each got toy guns which light up and make loud noises upon pulling of the trigger. Gabriel shot at strangers innocently eating their fair junk on benches, while Christian got into a gun battle with kids wielding bubble-shooting guns. Oh the fun we all had, save for the little incident in the agriculture building.

We'd like to return with Mike next time -- they'll really have some over-the-top fun at the midway rides! That's the stuff this daddy enjoys doing with the kids. I have a feeling Christian, who is quite cautious, and I will be doing quite a bit of observing from the sidelines as Gabie and Daddy ride the sacks down the tall slides. I, for one, shall have another funnel cake and other fair goodies.

Keep it fun and safe as you enjoy your local fair.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like tons of fun! :)

kate said...

Oh wow, us middle children really do have a way of getting to our parents like no one else!

When I was 7 and on visiting the Hoover Dam, I tried to see just how high I could get on the fence that ran along the top of the dam. I got yanked right down and given a firm spanking in front of a large audience. It wasn't quite the ending I had hoped for....

Oh there are so many other stories too...I am just glad that Gabe is okay! How scary for you!

Elena said...

Thanks for checking out the blog, Kristen & Kate! My first two customers. I remember now that you are the middle child, Kate. What is it about this one that's so special, yet keeps me frightened and frustrated and laughing at the same time??