Friday, November 11, 2011

Mating, Interrupted


With Christian's interest in all things found in nature, Mike got him this caterpillar cage.  Well, it was supposed to be for the caterpillars, but then he and his friend put a monarch butterfly and a few ladybugs in there.  They added some lovely flowers and a bowl filled with cottonballs soaked with water for the butterfly. 


Christian thinks we should have an animal shelter to help all creatures so they can mate and then we can take care of the babies. I disagree.  When he's a park ranger or zoologist or something like that then he can pursue that goal. He knows the word 'mates' and he understands that it has to do with having babies. 

Recently Christian told me that he saw two squirrels mating.  How did they do that, I asked.  "They rubbed each other's noses and then they swished their tails around."  That's good enough for me.


I convinced him that butterflies don't belong in such a small cage, so the lovely creature was freed.  But then so were the now dead caterpillars.  And I'd hoped to see them, especially the green one which was supposed to be a moth.  We always talk about how each living creature, even if it's just an earthworm, and each person has a purpose in life. 

"What's the purpose of a penis?" he asked yesterday. "Is it to have sex or something?"

It's amusing how Christian likes to ask 'big' questions in a casual manner.  It seems that his older friends have given him a little too much information.

"Why, yes, there are two purposes for a penis: mating and peeing.  Some of that sex stuff you'll hear more about when you are older," I told him.  "You don't need to talk about it too much with your friends yet because you're only 8 years old.  But if you have any questions -- any at all -- come to me or Dad and we'll answer them for you when the time is right." He nodded his head and that was that (for now).  I also reminded him not to talk about his or anyone else's privates because it's private. It's a broken record routine, but one that I hope sinks in. "It's not appropriate," I added.

Christian is aware that somewhere around 5th grade he'll have the big sex education talk at school.  Thank you, neighborhood boys, for keeping him abreast of such important news.

I feel like lately I'm catching glimpses of a pubescent Christian.  Today after school he gave me some momentous news: "Mom, I have something to tell you, but you're not going to like it."

"I'm sure I'll live.  Tell me," I said.

Christian breathlessly told me, "A GIRL likes me. She told her friend and her friend told me." She is the one he helped at the skating rink yesterday by rolling her to her mother after his classmate had fallen.

Me: "Why would I be upset about that?"

Christian: "Because I'm not allowed to have a girlfriend."

Me: "She's not your girlfriend, Christian.  Did you ask her on a date?  No.  She's a friend who happens to think you're cute, and that's ok."

Christian: "But I'm not allowed to have a girlfriend until I'm a teenager, right?" This is something I've been telling him since birth; not really, just since kindergarten. 

Me: "Maybe you'll be allowed to, but it's best not have a girlfriend for a really long time. And even then, it's best to have a group of friends you spend time with who are both girls and boys."

Christian: "When I'm about 15?" He needs to know the magic number.

Me: "I haven't decided yet, but it'll be a long time from now."

Plenty for him to ponder these days.

1 comment:

Joy said...

2 words: Holy Cow! I hope not to have those conversations with Derek for a long time!