Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Drama of it All..Updated

Christian has been running a high fever since Wednesday night and had to miss school as well as today's soccer game.  On Wednesday night when the fever began Christian was coming upstairs and felt a little dizzy and nauseous.  I thought maybe he was coming down with strep again.  He did not feel better the next day so I took him to the doctor.

At his age, the doctors we have seen usually talk to the kids directly to find out their symptoms.  I try not to "coach" Christian, but he talks ALOT and tells lots of stories. So I went over his symptoms to help him focus before we met with the doctor.

Sure enough, during the exam the doctor asked Christian how he had been feeling.  Christian was doing well until he go to the part about the dizzy spell:  "And then I went up the stairs to find my mom because I was feeling sick.  And then, and then what happened I started to see two of her and two of everything I saw...and then..."

The doctor asked him if he was seeing double right then.  "Yeah...and then what happened..." 

The doctor was concerned, but the nurse knew better and turned to me and smiled.  This was my cue to nip this in the bud, "Christian, how many of me do you see right now?" 

Christian said, "One...?"  I explained that Christian never saw double the night before and this was the first time hearing about such a symptom.   

At least he tested negative for strep.

P.S. Christian tested positive for strep last Monday.  Second time in the past two months!  I should've followed my instincts and asked the doctor to send the culture to the lab.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Sounds like Christian!! He's so adorable. The kids play with the Jenga blocks he got Derek for his birthday all the time!

Elena said...

Aw..I miss your kids so much! I'm glad they're still enjoying the Jenga blocks. I should get some for the boys. I hope you're doing well. By the way, Christian did end up with strep...we went back to the doctor yesterday because his fever and "virus" would not go away.

Joy said...

Bummer! I have strep right now too. 2nd time since we've moved here and I've never had it before in my life! I feel for him!