Thursday, October 1, 2009

No Shame

Life can really throw you some curveballs. Mike was let go from his job a couple days ago. Boom -- let go without the benefit of a severance and at the end of the month when our coverage was to end. He is now 0-2 with the past two horrendous job experiences, and he's hoping the third time's a charm. Luckily, he gets unemployment benefits, we are awaiting to hear if we qualify for health coverage (the children will certainly have Medicaid), and we may even be able to get food stamps. Wow, never thought we'd be in such a position, but we are.

We actually feel upbeat right now. I don't know why with all that has happened recently. I used to say if you have a job -- any job -- that you're lucky. Now I say if you have faith and good health, you're pretty blessed. Friends and family rank right up there, too. Maybe it's because I live near my parents and my old friends that I feel better. My spiritual life still needs some work, but I'm trying.

I have a medical issue that I want to check before too long, and today Mike discussed it with his doctor when he had his physical. He also told her about our health coverage concerns and explained that he wants to continue having her as his doctor if possible. This wonderful doctor spent her usual hour and a half with him. Yes, that entire time was spent with the doctor and not in a waiting room or in an actual room alone. She is Indian, believes in meditatation, and was knocked off her stool when Mike's labwork came back. Mike has been removed from his cholesterol and high blood pressure medication, and she is the first doctor who has ever been proactive with regards to his health. You would think that his blood pressure would be through the roof with the stress of losing a job, worrying about the family, etc. She was keenly interested in what he has done lately. For the past month, Mike has made some important changes: better diet, exercise, and eating smaller portions. Within that timeframe, he also is communicating so well that for the first time in our marriage I don't recognize who he is. We've had some major overhauls in our marriage recently. His doctor went over some breathing exercises and they did it together for 15 minutes this afternoon. She does not believe in eating meat, says to eat fish no more than three times a week, and eat lots of beans, rice, fruits and vegetables. This carnivore does not eat fish, but maybe this will encourage him (Mike doesn't know what he's missing). And now this caring doctor is having someone in her office contact Mike tomorrow to let him know how to continue the same health coverage so that I can go in as soon as possible. God bless her.

Mike has had a lot of support from his former employees, some of whom have called him since this happened last Tuesday. Mike had refused to write up three of his employees for an incident that was not their fault and that was perhaps viewed as insubordination in his employer's eyes and was the final straw for them. Sometimes doing the right thing is difficult. And that seems to be what life is all about. It's not meant to be an easy or a straight path. We're all here for a reason.

Tonight my brother Sergio asked me if I am going to continue with school. Honestly, I was ready to drop out a few nights ago, but then I realized that I need to keep working at it because if I don't do it now it may never get done. Our conversation and his insights cheered me considerably.

So if you are reading this, know that you are important and dear to me my brothers, family, near and far friends, and friends from the past.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I cannot believe what I just read. But I'm not surprised. Stand-up guys like Mike get the worst treatment. Standing by his values cost him his job, but he's a better man for it (that puts him over the 100% mark).

Please tell him to let me know if he needs anything. I'll write him a recommendation, whatever.

Unknown said...

I'm amazed by your strength and upbeat attitude! I'm not so sure I'd weather well if I were in your position. God will bless your family.

Lizzie said...

WOW guys. tough stuff. i will for sure be praying for your family. but goodness, way to keep your chin up dear!! :)

kate said...

Oh Elena!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about Mike's job...but wow, I am also so impressed with all of the amazing and wonderful changes that have occured for you all despite it! I am so proud of you for remaining so positive and strong. I know some days will be challenging, but you will prevail, and weho knows, maybe because the job was so awful, it was for the best. Now Mike can focus all of his energy toward finding something that really feels right. It will happen. Keep the faith! I'll be praying for you all!